“What we truly have is this moment… and this … and this. We spend most of our lives forgetting this truth, repudiating it, fleeing it, over looking it. And the horror is that we succeed. We manage to never really connect with the present moment and find fulfillment there because we are continually hoping to become happy in the future. And the future never arrives.” – Sam Harris
Many of us are aware of the concept of mindfulness and connecting with the present moment but many are at a loss on how to do this.
Here are some tools that I use:
1. Connect with your breath – feel the inhale, the exhale and the pause in between each breath. Let every thing else but this focus float away for a moment.
2. Pay attention to what you hear around you – pause for a moment and take in what sounds are going on around you. What do you hear? What did you not notice before?
3. Be aware of all the chatter in your head and let it go – Ask your self what all is going on inside of you right now? Bring attention to all that mental chatter. Can you let it go for just a few minutes and be with what ever is in front of you? I like to picture my thoughts like clouds floating by a high mountain and just let them float by.
4. Engage all your senses. Look around – what all is happening right here? Seeing, hearing, smelling, what is vibrant? Can you try and see it like you are seeing it for the first time with fresh eyes?
5. What is the vibe going on with other people? If you are in a room/place with others, stop and think about what is going on for them? What are you observing in their faces and bodies?
I use a combination of all of these tools. Like anything, the more you practice with them the better you get!!
Why do we want to be in the present moment?
Being right here and right now is all that we truly have. The past is a memory and the future is just a thought. Being present brings clarity, increases positivity and calmness. Most of the benefit happens just from releasing all the stories we have in our minds and being right here. It is the stories that stress us out and take us away from what is right in front of us. Don’t miss out on the moment right in front of you. It is what makes up our entire lives.
If you want to learn more about loving who you are and getting peace with your body but aren’t sure how to do that, let Zen Barbell help you! Check out the 30 Days to Stop Hating Your Body program here.